Alright, so I have some confessions to make. First, I’ve been baking and not blogging. I’m not sure why I’ve been slacking off on the blogging…probably for a number of reasons all combined. I’ve been in a bit of an exhausted post-partum hormonal funk lately, and haven’t felt like doing much in general. Sometimes I forget to have my photographer (my husband) take pictures, or don’t feel like trying to come up with some nice arrangement to make the pictures look good because I’m feeling completely uninspired. Other times I get him to take pictures, and then simply don’t do anything with them. And I’ve written a post or two and then scrapped them. Not quite sure what my problem is, but we’ll try to get back on track here.
Secondly, I’ve become a stalker. Not a creepy type of stalker, but an obsessed with cookie recipes stalker. I have been obsessed with the cookie recipes on Sally’s Baking Addiction, because she seems to have the same idea of what makes a delicious cookie as I do: Soft, chewy, and with normal ingredients. (And she knows how to create such cookie recipes, unlike me!) I think I’ve tried 4 or 5 of them now, and have not been disappointed with any of them. Maybe this is why I haven’t been posting everything I make too, because I feel a bit weird re-posting her recipes every single time I post something….like I said I’ve been obsessed. She has so many good looking recipes on her site, and I haven’t even made it past the cookies! So let me share which one’s I’ve tried so far and have found delicious:
1. Peanut Butter M&M cookies: (I already blogged about these earlier…the beginning of my obsession!)
2. Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bakes: So these little cookies contain absolutely no butter. Who has ever heard of a no bake with no butter? So I had to try them. My husband was pretty skeptical when I told him I made these no bakes with a banana instead of butter…but he had to admit that they were pretty good. If you are expecting a classic chocolate peanut butter no bake, this isn’t it. But if you like banana, these were actually very tasty mostly guilt-free treats! Even my picky 2 year old liked them!
3. THE Chocolate Chip Cookie: Both my Mom and I have been looking for a good chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have a pretty good soft chocolate chip cookie that uses pudding mix, but they aren’t particularly chewy. Our experience has been that most recipes that claim to be chewy are soft and cake-like, but not necessarily chewy. These cookies were a very good soft chocolate chip cookie. They weren’t as chewy as I was hoping for, but they were a good alternative to the recipe I have been using, especially since I don’t always have a box of pudding on hand.
4. Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie: So I have also been looking for a better chocolate cookie recipe. I was making some crinkle chocolate cookies, but they weren’t keeping well. Like within 2 days they started drying out and tasting really stale. I had another reicpe, but they were a bit fickle. So I gave this recipe a try. These were pretty awesome chewy, fudgy cookies that stayed that way for the 4-5 days they lasted… My husband and I couldn’t get enough of them. We both kept exclaiming “Wow these are really good cookies!” Definitely going to be my new chocolate cookie recipe.
5. Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies: I tried these ones since I was still looking for that elusive chewy factor. We have a winner! These cookies are soft, chewy, and delicious. I’m amazed by the simple yet ingenious changes Sally made to her other chocolate chip recipe to produce that chewiness. Little things like adding an egg yolk to increase the chewy factor, and rolling your cookie into a ball that is taller than it is wide so that your cookie ends up thicker instead of spreading out so thin. (Makes me want to smack my forehead and say “Why didn’t I think of that!”) I think I’m going to email this recipe to my Mom because she’s been looking for a chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe too, and this is definitely the best one I have found yet.
And my final confession: I have been eating way too many cookies!